When we have a friend, a co-worker or loved one going through cancer, we want to provide the best support we can for them. We stop by and visit with them, make meals and bring it to their homes, and help out in any other way that we can. But, we feel like it isn’t enough and we don’t know what else we can do to help.
We suggest that you provide a care package for them. Here are some suggestions:
- Hand Sanitizer, Lip Balm & Lotions. You want to make sure to steer clear of any fragrances- choose skin-sensitive products like Lindi Skincare.
- Baseball caps for a man & head wraps for a woman like Just In Time Soft Hats
- Small gifts such as a fun shirt, scarves or fashion jewelry
- Fuzzy socks and a fleece blanket to stay warm during chemo treatments
- Microwave rice packs for hot (and cold) therapy
- Soft, knit cap to keep head warm when sleeping
Words of Encouragement
- Handwritten cards
- Inspirational quotes and messages
- Lozenges and hard candy to ease dry mouth
- Ginger chews for an upset stomach
- Favorite candy or snack
- Movies, books, magazines, music and games to help pass the time
- Journal for personal thoughts or to keep track of treatments
- Gift cards to restaurants or grocery stores
- Home-cooked meals that can be frozen and eaten later
- Child care or pet sitting
But remember that the gift of presence is the best of them all. It is the most important- be there for them, encourage and support them. This is a hard time for them and to have that support will help them through their treatment.